There are so many things to love about New York! There are so many things that we want to share! As I wrap up this blog series, here are a few more things that we love and will miss in New York City:
● Cultural Diversity – this is the biggest thing that we will miss! In our brownstone alone we lived with families from Vermont, Boston and France. Throughout every day we interacted with people from so many different cultures. I liked to interview my Uber drivers and my first 10 were from different countries all outside of the United States. The cultural diversity in the city of New York is like nowhere else in the world and is such a beautiful thing!
● Subway/Mass Transit – the subway system can feel overwhelming at first, but once you adjust it becomes such a natural way to get around the city. I loved the people watching and not having to drive in the city. It also makes your commute time much more predictable as train traffic doesn’t really compare to car traffic. The biggest question is really how crowded the train will be rather than how long it will take. If you have personal space issues, the subway system is probably not for you.
● Unique Neighborhoods – every neighborhood in New York is unique! We loved finding an excuse to check out different neighborhoods and unique spots in each. From SOHO to Williamsburg to Hells Kitchen, we enjoyed the uniqueness of each!
● Parks – a park in New York is not just a park. The creativity of space is so unique in every park. Every square inch of Central Park and Prospect Park is so optimally used. Experiencing a park like the High Line that was an above ground rail line that was converted to a park. The parks in New York City are just so energizing!
● Delivery Everything – we thought living in New York might be inconvenient with groceries, transportation, etc. We quickly found Fresh Direct who delivered our groceries not just to our door, but up 4 flights of stairs and directly into our kitchen. We also found the Seamless app which delivered take out food to us from 300 different restaurants in our area. Oh yeah, and Amazon Prime added 1 hour deliver shortly after we got there.
● Accents – we absolutely love the native New York accent! There’s nothing like a well said “Forget About It!” We had hoped our girls might pick up a little bit while here. Time will tell on that one.
We will sure miss New York City! This experience has been indescribable and we’re so grateful to have had this opportunity. There are so many things that we have loved, but we are excited to see all that God has ahead for us. This season has only fueled the desire for more family adventures in our future. We cannot wait to get to Texas and see all that is ahead. While we will no longer live in New York, we will be back often and cannot wait for the adventures ahead!