One of our favorite things about living in New York City was not just the adventures that we had in the city, but also the adventures beyond the city. We got to experience some incredible places beyond New York City over the past 2 years as well. Here were some of our favorites:
● Cooperstown - I had a blast driving up to Cooperstown with my Dad (Greg Smith) and best friend (Chris Tripputi) to see Craig Biggio get inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. This had been a bucket list for some time and to get to do it during this season of life with my Dad and Chris made it extra sweet.
● Washington DC - one Saturday morning we woke up and asked what we should do today. We decided Washington DC was the answer, so in less than an hour we booked a hotel room, packed a couple bags and loaded up the family to DC. While it was a quick trip, it was so cool to get to spend a couple of days in the country’s capital and experience this together as a family. Thanks also to the Cunningham’s for hooking us up with a sweet hotel room!
● Boston - while I wish I could have spent more time here to see family, it was very cool to spend a half day in Boston seeing some historic spots, passing by Fenway Park, and eating some clam chowder. I definitely hope to make it back to Boston again soon!
● Maine - we had a blast with my in laws renting a cabin on a lake in Maine and simply relaxing and taking in the beauty of Maine. I also ate a bunch of Lobster!
● Philadelphia - noticing how close Philadelphia is to New York we decided to take a day trip. We saw the Liberty Bell, walked around downtown, ran up the Rocky steps and ate some Philly Cheesesteak (wit wiz)!
● Toronto - one of our last trips we took was with my Mom and explored beyond the United States into Canada. We found an incredible AirBnB 20 floors up with floor to ceiling glass windows in downtown Toronto. We got to explore a castle, go to a Blue Jays game, eat some Tim Horton’s, walk along the beach and really take in the beauty of Toronto. Very cool city!
● Niagara Falls - while I had been before, this is one of those sights that a picture (or video) cannot fully capture. We explored the falls on both sides and still blown away by the power and beauty of the falls!
● Snow Tubing in Poconos - if you ask my kids what the highlight beyond the city was, they would tell you Snow Tubing! We explored out one Saturday and found snow tubing in the Poconos. It really was so cool and something I hope we get to do again before too much longer! We’re not patient enough for ski lessons and snow tubing gave us the thrill of going down the mountain without all of the work.
● The Jersey Shore - we had low expectations for the Jersey Shore (based on the TV Show) and were blown away. Pete Scazzero tipped us off to a more family friendly beach and we loved it! The sand was great, water was beautiful and the weather was perfect. Other than some sunburn the next day, this was our favorite beach trip in the Northeast!
● Maritime Aquarium in Connecticut - this was another favorite of the kids. Katie found this aquarium and we went back as a family. It was a full day and the kids continue to talk about the shark tank and touching the stingrays. This is a really unique experience if you have kids.
● Hershey Park - while adventuring out to Canada and Niagara Falls, we also squeezed in a day and a half at Hershey Park. The amusement park was great, but the experience within the chocolate factory was tremendous getting to design your own bar, learning about the history and even doing a chocolate tasting. This was a really unique experience that the whole family enjoyed.
I feel like we could still do so much more, but grateful to have been able to so easily adventure beyond the city to these unique places. Also grateful for our little Mazda 3 that we bought when we first got married (almost 12 years ago) and continues to take us on so many of these great adventures.