Last week at the Echo Conference I attended a breakout with Dawn Nicole Baldwin entitled 5 Quick Ways Social Media Can Kill Your Brand. You might have read my previous post that included the video: United Breaks Guitars, this illustration highlighting an organization's brand that was killed due to social media. That illustration was my biggest takeaway from the breakout that I won't quickly forget. She shared 5 great suggestions and added 5 thoughts to chew on for any organization when utilizing Social Media: 5 Quick Ways Social Media Can Kill Your Brand:
1) Failing to Plan
2) Wrong People in Leadership
3) Set it and Forget it
4) Not Adding Value
- It’s not about you, it’s about them
5) Expect Miracles
- Not a substitute for other media channels
5 Things to Chew On:
1) Understand what the primary purpose of Social Media
- Connecting and Sharing
2) Determine what your hoping to accomplish before you jump in
- Determine what will be measured
- What is important?
3) Find your voice
- Don’t try and be something that we’re not
- Keep your voice consistent
4) Know your audience
- What needs are you filling?
- How do they want to be communicated with?
5) How does this fit with what we’re already doing?