It's hard to believe that it's been 5 years since I first joined the staff at Community Bible Church! 5 years ago I had an unexpected lunch with Robert Emmitt and Chris Emmitt, which quickly led to a 90 day contract to launch an experiment called CBC Online. 90 days later I had a full-time job and the adventure began!
As I look back over the past 5 years here are some of the highlights that stand out to me:
- Launching OnlineChurch.com and LaIglesiaEnLinea.com and growing to a global weekly reach of 15,000 from more than 100 different countries
- Growing the Online Church Facebook Page to over 750,000 and overall church social media following to almost 1 million
- Partnering with PlainJoe Studios to rebrand CBC and launch the new Community Bible Church website
- Serving as the Interim Young Adult Pastor for a year
- Partnering with Impact Factors to develop the CBC Mobile App
- Being invited to join the church's executive team
- Partnering with UpperRoom Technologies to develop the CBC Roku Channel and Amazon Fire TV App
- Integrating RightNow Media into the discipleship strategy of the church
- Creating Online Church Leaders helping more than 500 other churches launch an Online Church campus of their own
- Launching Live Streaming in CBC Central through Media Fusion
Honestly, I could go on and on as it's overwhelming to look back on all that God has done over the past 5 years. I can without hesitation say that I am a different leader and a different man because of my time at Community Bible Church. That has far less to do with the things I have done than it does with the people I have done it with. The church staff at CBC is second to none and the privilege to lock arms with these servant leaders has been an incredible blessing. As I look at the staff I have been privileged to lead on the Innovation team, I am so humbled as they have so passionately served the church and followed my lead while working behind the scenes so diligently. More than anyone else, I have been most impacted by these three leaders that I have served under:
- Robert Emmitt (Lead Pastor) first entrusted me and empowered me. He allowed me to lead while clearly casting vision and direction and making sure I had the resources needed to thrive. His encouragement and motivation have inspired so many of our initiatives over the past 5 years. Robert has taught me how to move fast and remain flexible while staying focused on the mission God has called us to.
- Chris Emmitt (Executive Pastor) has directly led me and supported me beyond what any leader could ever dream possible. Chris has pushed me outside of my comfort zone and helped me see a bigger picture of ministry opportunities that I often missed because I was lost in the technology. There is no one in this world that I enjoy white board ministry dreaming conversations with than Chris Emmitt!
- Trey Moore (Elder) has mentored me in more ways than I can describe. Between early morning breakfast meetings or late night conversations after basketball, Trey has taught me so much about technology, innovation, leadership, and family. Watching Trey lead with such passion and humility has been the greatest model that I could follow to lead innovation at CBC.
One individual that I can't leave out from mentioning is Sean Metcalf (Education Pastor) who has been the greatest friend and partner in ministry than I can begin to describe. From countless lunches to the quick pick me ups in the hall, Sean's constant encouragement has meant so much over 5 years. We couldn't be much more different from our personalities, our outward appearance, and the technologies that we prefer (Sean uses a Dell without complaining). Despite our personal differences our ministry minds couldn't be any more aligned and it's been an honor to serve alongside Sean for the past 5 years.
The great news is, it's only been 5 years and I believe we're only getting started! I might be living in New York for this season, but my commitment and love for Community Bible Church is no less than it has ever been as I continue to serve the church with my whole heart and believe our best days are ahead! I'm humbled by all that God has allowed for me to do, but I'm most focused and excited about the next 5 years and all I'm believing God to do!