One of the most consistent questions I've been getting lately is what is going to be the big tech gift this Christmas. I don't have a standard answer right now, but here are some categories that might help if you're looking for a tech gift for a friend or family member:
Apple Gifts - I'm an Apple guy and feel you can never go wrong with Apple gifts. While never cheap, here are some hot items this Christmas season:
- Apple Watch - starting at $299 this is a great gift for men and women who love to stay connected. The apps keep getting better and it's a 'nice to have' not a 'need to have' item, so it makes a great gift as people can't often justify buying for themselves.
- Apple TV - starting at $149 this is a gift that the whole family can enjoy and the value is not yet knows as the hundreds of new apps that are coming out daily are adding more and more value to this product. From streaming video to interactive games, the whole family will enjoy a new Apple TV.
- iPad Pro (with pen) - starting at $799 this is at the top of my list. The problem is that to take advantage of what makes it unique you also need the keyboard and pen as an add on. I see this soon replacing my laptop and being my most used device in the near future.
Amazon Gifts - Second to Apple most of my tech money goes to Amazon, which offers some much lower priced items:
- Fire TV Stick (with voice remote) - starting at just under $50 this is much more affordable than the Apple TV. While not near as powerful you will actually find more streaming media options and games (for now). If you're just getting into streaming video on your TV, this is a great place to start.
- Kindle Paperwhite - this is the Kindle reader I wish I had. I went cheap and got the lower end version and I really wish I had the backlight that the Paperwhite includes. The price fluctuates right around $100 and this is a great device for those who love to read. It's amazing when you think that an entire library can fit on this one tiny device.
- Kindle Fire for Kids - if you're looking for a tablet for your kids, this is a great option under $100 (if you don't want to pay for an iPad). Great apps, easy to use, and good security options.
Futuristic Gifts - These are for the true geeks!
- VR Googles - at less than $20, by far the cheapest gift on this list and from my perspective the coolest. Whether for the kids or for Dad, you will find hours of entertainment now and so much more in the near future.
- 3D Printer - while this tech is more fun than functional I still think it's a really cool gift and for kids you can really get their minds to start dreaming of what they will be able to create in the near future. At a price point less than $500 it's realistic to get one for the house now. If our space wasn't so small we would be getting one this year. I'm still debating!
- Drone with Camera - who doesn't want a helicopter that can take videos? While this model is only a toy there are so many options and drones are only going to get more and more popular. Get one now and 2 more later this year :)
- 4K TV - when it comes to buying a TV, I wouldn't buy at TV that's not 4K. While it's hard to find 4K streaming content right now, it won't be hard to find a year from now. I also don't recommend over paying for a name brand TV that will last a long time. I'm stuck with 2 TVs that I overpaid for that won't break so I can justify buying a new one. TVs continue to drop in price so much and increase in quality so fast that you don't want a long lasting TV, but one that will work great for the next 5 years. This is a great TV under $300. It's unbelievable to me that you can get a 4K TV at this prices!
What else am I missing? Which gifts are you most interested and excited about?